Every once in awhile on a Saturday, I feel ambitious, motivated, and dare I say: domestic. Whipping up a quiche (or zipping through Wegman’s for ingredients for one) gives me great satisfaction. Everyone here loves it for Sunday breakfast and lunch.
- 20 MIN Prep Time
- Total Time: 1 HR 40 MIN
- 8 Servings
- 1 1/4
- cups Betty Crocker™ All-Purpose Gluten Free Rice Flour Blend
- teaspoon xanthan gum
- teaspoon salt
- tablespoons cold butter, cut in small pieces
- egg yolk
- tablespoon cider vinegar
- to 6 tablespoons cold water
- cup half-and-half
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- cup frozen (thawed) chopped broccoli
- cup shredded gluten-free Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- cup cut-up gluten-free fully cooked ham
- cup finely chopped onion
- 1 In food processor, place flour blend, xanthan gum and salt. Cover; process until combined. Add butter; pulse 3 to 5 times or until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- 2 In 1-cup measuring cup, beat 1 egg yolk, cider vinegar and 3 tablespoons cold water with fork. With food processor running, quickly pour egg mixture through feed tube, and process a few seconds until dough begins to come together. (Add additional water if necessary.) Remove dough; shape into flattened disk.
- 3 Heat oven to 450°F. On 12-inch square of cooking parchment paper lightly sprinkled with flour blend, roll dough into 11-inch circle. Carefully center ungreased 9-inch pie plate over circle. Turn crust and pie plate over to place crust into pie plate. Remove paper. Ease crust into pan, repairing any tears with wet fingers. Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from rim of pie plate. Fold and roll pastry under, even with plate; flute as desired. Do not prick. Line crust with double thickness of foil. Bake 8 minutes; remove foil. Bake 4 to 5 minutes longer or until pastry is set and dry. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- 4 For Filling, in medium bowl, beat eggs lightly with whisk or hand beater. Beat in half-and-half, salt and red pepper. Sprinkle broccoli, cheese, ham and onion in partially-baked crust. Pour egg mixture evenly over broccoli mixture. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. If necessary, cover edge of crust with foil to prevent overbrowning. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Source: Betty Crocker
Betty Crocker™ All-Purpose Gluten Free Rice Flour Blend
teaspoon xanthan gum
tablespoons cold butter
apple cider vinegar
half-and-half (1 cup)
ground red pepper (cayenne)
frozen (thawed) chopped broccoli
shredded gluten-free Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
cut-up gluten-free fully cooked ham