- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced sweet or yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, (BPA-free brand Muir Glen)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro for garish
In a large skillet, add oil and sauté onion until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and continue to sauté for 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients, except cilantro, and stir to combine. Cover and bring to a boil.
Cook until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender, approximately 15 minutes. Turn the burner off and allow the covered skillet to set until any remaining liquid is absorbed, 5-10 minutes. Fluff with a fork, add cilantro for garnish, and serve.
Tip: Mexican Style Quinoa is delicious served as a side or add to burritos, enchiladas, or tacos.